Thursday, November 17, 2011

Unplanned Tempo

 Sometimes the best things are not planned!!

This morning I did a tempo run which I hadn't planned on, but the opportunity came up to run with someone else who was doing a pace and distance that worked for me and another guy joined us, someone who was in town on business.  He didn't speak any English but understood a little.  Viviano was very fast but also had a humility about him that made you instantly like him.  One of the other runners in the group spoke Spanish so could translate a little for us.

My mom had her procedure on Tuesday which went well, so that is one less thing to worry about for now.  She was in good spirits afterward.

Jenny's parents are on their way out for Thanksgiving and for the Women's Half Marathon in St. Pete this Sunday.  It will be great to see everyone and I can't wait to cheer them on this Sunday.  Being a runner myself gives me extra appreciation when I cheer people on and makes it as rewarding as running the race itself in some ways.

Wednesday
(10.07 mi01:25:14,  08:27 pace, plus 1 mile at boot camp in the PM)
Started with Jenny and Lisa R. out to the water stop, then said bye and headed out for some more miles.
This was a much better run for Jenny than the last time we ran together.  Lisa's knee has been a bit bothersome also so she kept it short also.  But it felt like summer when it seemed like we all ran together every day.

I did some of the run along the grassy part along Trinity Blvd again.  I'm starting to really appreciate it. 

I only had time for some really quick stretching and mobility exercises, no weights or pull-ups or stuff like that.  Was ready and out the door in less than half an hour to drop Andy off at his bus stop.  I did forget my workout clothes for boot camp tonight but Jenny is good about bringing them if I've forgotten.
Received the extension bar I ordered for the pull-up bar I got for my office.  I had bought it because it was half off and it does not need to screw in to the frame.  Still came out ahead even with the extra cost of ordering the bar (Iron Gym).  It's also good to hang from for a good stretch.  Sitting for most of the day is not a good way to improve athleticism!!


Went out about lunch time to meet Jenny and Thomas for a doctor appointment for Thomas which he was not happy about.  Although I'm glad I went because when I asked him the night before if he wanted me to go he said he did - oftentimes he is very non-committal (e.g. "I don't know", "maybe"), but this time it was a definite yes.

PM - went to boot camp which was about 1 hour and included about 1 mile of running.
Thursday
(7.23 mi 00:53:00,  07:19 pace)
Originally I was planning on just doing an easy 6 mile run from home, but one the people I was going to run with had to cancel and I knew the other person was probably iffy so I cancelled on her and took up Raj on a late invite  for tempo run starting out at Longleaf.

1.5 mile warm up then 5 miles between 6:38 and 6:51.
splits: 6:48, 6:50, 6:51, 6:39, 6:38

Also ran with Viviano from Puerto Rico. He had no problem keeping up - it was a medium pace run for him. On the fourth mile I felt really strong, but felt a little bit lagging on the last mile and the other two guys were picking it up.  I didn't want to make it a race so I dropped back just slightly but not far at all.
Cool down about .7 miles. A bit warm for a tempo run, but you get what you get.

Once I got home, as I got out of the car, the sky was a very brilliant pink.  In fact, it wasn't just the sky, it seemed to be the air itself, but it must have really just been the sky.  I couldn't quite capture what I saw with my iPhone camera, it was a bit lighter than what the pictures show below:


A little bit after that a heavy rain came rolling in.

Big weekend and big week ahead!  Lots of challenges, lots of fun things, work family, life, it's all good.  Once again - looking forward to watching Jenny and her mom at the Women's Half!!  And then joining in all of the post race festivities and enjoying the family time together going into Thanksgiving Day when we'll have everyone over to all give thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I was going to be there with you guys again this year - it was such a fun week last year!
    Love the pink sky picture and glad to hear your mom is doing well - give her my best regards!

    ReplyDelete